The neverending debate between professional and DIY HVAC cleaning is one for the ages. DIY enthusiasts are pushing the narrative about their method being the more cost effective, while those willing to leave the complex tasks to professionals have their own say in the matter.
Here we will explore the pros and cons of DIY vs professional HVAC cleaning, and give you, the reader, a clear perspective on the best, and safest approach.
Even though the strong debate stretches on, we can’t help but emphasize strongly on how important it is to actually have your HVAC system cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. Your HVAC system is constantly functioning to provide you with clean air, free of dust, dirt, allergens and pathogens, allowing you to breathe in ease, knowing it will not make you sick. This constant functioning causes massive wear and tear which needs periodic maintenance for proper functionality.
If you’re a DIY enthusiast who loves the idea of doing the job on your own, giving it proper attention which you can’t expect from professionals, you must be fairly excited to read the pros, and skim over the cons, but we strongly recommend giving it proper thought and contemplation, seeing the whole picture, before you make your decision. Here are the pros and cons for DIY HVAC cleaning and maintenance.
1. Cost-saving: Cost saving is the primary reason for DIY HVAC cleaning, and there is no denying it. Professional HVAC cleaning is going to cost you more, especially if you have larger HVAC systems. DIY cleaning can be especially crucial if you’re looking to simply save money, but there are more things to consider.
2. Flexibility: Tired of waiting on your HVAC technician and simply want to get it done yourself in your own time? That's how DIY cleaning offers unparalleled flexibility, letting you relax, and prep for your own time to start cleaning your HVAC system at your own convenience.
3. Learning Opportunity: Love the thrill of learning new skills, and picking up the knowledge of how an HVAC system works? Simply, do it yourself! DIY cleaning can help you learn the inner workings of your HVAC system since there is no other way than to learn if you want to clean it right.
4. Self Satisfaction: It may sound like a very biased point of view, but life is about making yourself feel good. When you successfully complete a DIY duct cleaning routine, you are bound to find that inner sense of self satisfaction and contentment. There is no greater pleasure than knowing you did something, and you did it right.
This is probably a difficult read for DIY enthusiasts, but you will need to keep these in mind more than the pros of DIY HVAC cleaning. Let’s not cloud out minds with confirmation bias, and try our best to fully comprehend the bigger picture through considering both sides of the coin.
1. Time-consuming: DIY HVAC cleaning can be and is a lengthy process, especially if you are a beginner. It’s not always that the cleaning can stretch for hours, but you also need proper knowledge about your HVAC system. Besides that, you will also need to tend to the tools needed, and the correct cleaning process itself.
2. Risk of Damage: Since your HVAC system is an organism of pure machinery, operating in unison to clean your air, they could be subjected to damage if not handled with care. We aren’t pointing fingers, but HVAC technicians have the experience and skill to navigate around these delicate machineries, something which most DIY enthusiasts would lack. Moreover, the damage caused would stack up repair costs higher than if you had hired a professional who could have averted this altogether.
3. Incomplete Cleaning: As a DIY enthusiast, your knowledge of complete cleaning and maintenance is bound to be limited to a certain area, which will end up causing more harm than good. Incomplete cleaning can cause HVAC systems to keep functioning inefficiently, and with the hard to reach places left untouched, might cause your efforts to go in vain entirely.
On the flip side, you have the option of hiring professionals. HVAC companies have extensively trained professionals with specialized equipment and skills to clean your HVAC system. In most cases, these professionals are extremely experienced, knowing their way around the HVAC system, with an increasing number of certified individuals that ensure complete cleaning. Lets go over their pros and cons, so you may properly weigh your options.
1. Comprehensive Cleaning: Armed with cutting edge equipment, unrivaled training, years of experience, and the set goal to get the job done right, professional HVAC cleaning will give your HVAC system the attention and care it needs for optimum cleaning and maintenance.
2. Time-saving: Contrary to DIY HVAC cleaning, where the cleaning process could drag on for hours on end, professional HVAC technicians have a set amount of time they would spend completing each process with precision, saving you a lot of time and effort.
3. Preventative Maintenance: The trained eyes and ears of HVAC technicians allows them to spot anomalies, which inexperienced DIY enthusiasts would otherwise not notice. Professionals can spot issues with your HVAC system, recommending fixes and solutions before the issue gets worse.
1. Cost: We admit professional HVAC cleaning can be expensive depending on various factors and issues. The core reason DIY enthusiasts push their narrative, and the reason we all rethink about HVAC cleaning involves the cleaning costs professionals often charge. It may be a lot, but you do get the bang for your buck.
2. Scheduling: Your own time is important, and you would obviously flinch to think you need to wait on someone to come and clean your system out, while you sit out the entire process. This is how it is, and you will have to align your time with professional HVAC cleaners as you set an appointment and give them your time and attention.
3. Dependence: Relying on professionals could make you become less familiar with your HVAC system and its maintenance needs. In most cases, this would be a harmless dependence since thats what they are there for, but it is equally important for you to be well versed with how your HVAC system functions, so you could keep an eye out for anomalies.
When it comes down to the overall health and efficiency of your HVAC system, being the end goal of it all, you will need to contemplate the right choice for yourself. On one hand, you have reliable professionals, and on the other hand, DIY cleaning, with effort, could also work wonders.
Your awareness about your HVAC system is vital, and we suggest you know how much you can do for your HVAC system, and perhaps, leave the more complex tasks to professionals, a unison most people can agree on.
The end goal is important, and you must remember to focus on the functionality of your HVAC system as a whole. Whether it is through professionals, or by your own hands, keep your HVAC system cleaned and well maintained, and in turn it will keep you safe through the circulation of clean air around your home!